Wednesday, September 17, 2008

A challenge

If you are reading this, I have a challenge for you.



SAY "HI"





I don't care who you say Hi to.....but try to do it more often. I think it is a nice gesture that has been lost in our country. I remember after 9/11, although that was a tragic experience, it did a lot of good for our country for the next couple months. I remember driving down the road and everyone was being nice and waving and letting people in front of them. I remember saying hi to the person behind me in line at the grocery store, or having a conversation with the person next to me at the gas pump.

I have one serious issue that is driving me nuts....please forgive my ranting...

I was 1 for 4 of people saying "Hi" back to me as I was walking to/from the temple today. Seriously???? I said "Hi" to 4 people and only 1 said "Hi" back. (I wish that one person knew what that meant to me) but I would like to point out that that is way above the average. And at the temple of all places. This has happened to me at church as well, just walking down the hallway---I say Hi and get nothin, nada, not even a glance in my direction.

I am going to give the people not responding to my two letter word some slack. Maybe they don't hear me?? Or maybe it is that they are so shocked that someone would actually say "hi" that they don't know how to react.....but that is my point-why are they shocked? I would be happy with eye contact and a smile-ok, at this point, eye contact would be enough.

Which brings me to another point.....If we can't even say hi at church or at the temple, I doubt we are saying hi at work, school, or just out and about and how can we be a good influence and start up conversation/do missionary work if we can't even do that much?

I was driving home from the temple tonight and saw 2 missionaries (yeah saying 2 missionaries is redundant, I know, but there could have been 4) and they were shaking hands with a guy at the bus stop and I saw the guy with a B of M in his hands! YES! I said a little prayer that he would read it. But you know what, I bet that whole conversation started with a two letter word.

So my challenge-in case I haven't gotten my point across is



SAY "HI"



Synonyms for Hi:

Hey!

How are you doing?

Greetings

Good morning/afternoon/night

What's up?

Hello

Howdy

Eye Contact and Smile

Yo!

Holla!






9 comments:

heidi said...

so these last few weeks i've been jogging daily. & people always wave and say hi back if they are driving by or walk too. I thought it was intersting how people were so friendly at that time....have you ever noticed that

maybe while people excercise there is a chemical released in our bodies that make us more friendly

I agree though I'd love to live in a more friendly comunity

jt said...

hey yiz,

hi wizzie

yo liz

what's up sis

Anonymous said...

Hola!

Gini said...

Lizzie..Your Grampa Bing taught me that even if a person is your worst enemy, it doesn't hurt to say hello. My worst thing is when people pass you in the grocery store ( like the manager ) or at work when the director walks down the hallway and there are only 2 of you in the hallway and they act like they don't see you!!! HAAAAA.. are you kidding.. bring it on. I always say something so they have to speak back... like.. isn't is a beautiful day? Or... how are you doing today?????? etc. You get my drift. so.. hello sweet baby.

EXMARC said...

HI LIZ

Molly said...

Hola.

Brigham said...

Cheers

PMClan said...

Lizzie,

I didn't take the dog to a dog park just the park by my house. It's usually just us there. If I see someone else with a dog I put indy back on her leash. I should try a dog park though because indy really needs to interact with other dogs. The dogs that go to the dog park are friendly dogs. I can't see someone taking a dog thats going to run around attacting every dog.

Shannon said...

Amen Sister!! I love how you think!
How does anyone pass by you and NOT say Hello!

Good Girl on going to the Temple....You would be a Fabulous Missionary!